How to Conquer Fear and Anxiety

It’s been a little over a year since I posted about God freeing me from fear. (You can read about that here.) Last year I allowed fear to keep me from going on an all-expense-paid trip to Mexico with my husband. This year, I felt God putting me to the test as I said YES to the trip my husband earned which was a five day trip to Jamaica! To conquer fear isn’t easy, but it definitely has great rewards!

feet by the ocean

We just got back from Jamaica last Thursday and it was an amazing experience. There were times when I still felt scared and unsure if I’d be okay, but I pushed through. Every time we hit turbulence on one of the four plane rides I had to take, I silently prayed a prayer or just spoke the name of Jesus. I felt Him calming my nerves and reminding me that He was with me.

One of the things that is the scariest to me is the feeling of not having any control. I definitely felt that way on the plane rides and the bus tour. We had to take a tour bus for a two hour trip so we could hike up this amazing waterfall. It was pretty scary being on the bus. In Jamaica, the drivers are on the right side of the vehicle and they drive on the opposite side of the road as we do in the US. They also drive extremely close to everything. If you were to barely stick your hand out of the window, it would be very dangerous. Had I allowed fear to stop me, I would have missed out on what turned out to be my favorite part of the entire trip.

ANOTHER INTERESTING POST...  January 3rd
Couple with waterfall behind them

As I write this post to you, tears form in my eyes. I’m writing to encourage you to not let fear hold you back. But, for those who know me well, they know that even though I’ve conquered a mountain in my life, I still haven’t fully surrendered to the Lord.

I’ve been praying daily, asking God to show me the difference between fear and wisdom…and He just gave me my answer.

I’ve been absolutely terrified of my children getting sick. One of my greatest fears in life is losing my children or them losing their mother. The coronavirus is a huge deal to everyone right now, but I’ve been keeping my children isolated for months over fear of them getting the flu or other respiratory illnesses. The recent developments with the coronavirus have only intensified my fears. I say that I’m not worried and that the media is just causing unnecessary panic, but deep down, I’m sort of freaking out.

I skipped church again today even though I know that I should’ve been there. I miss my church family and I’m setting a poor example for my little ones. As God speaks to my heart, He reminds me that HE is my protector!

Psalms 91:10 says, “No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways.”

House with Bible Verse in background

God has opened my eyes today and shown me that I can either trust that His Word is true, or I can continue to isolate myself and my family out of fear.

The coronavirus is Satan’s plan to isolate God’s people and to cause fear and panic. This is a time when Christians must remain strong in His Word so that we know what the truth is. That truth will set us free from fear and anxiety!

ANOTHER INTERESTING POST...  My Plans Vs. His Plans
How can we be totally free from fear?

The key to conquer fear and anxiety is in surrender! When we surrender to the Lord and face every single fear that has had us bound, we inch closer and closer to true freedom.

I may not be where I want to be (or where I know the Lord wants me to be), but I know that I’m way closer than I was just one year ago. My testimony is that I said yes and I went afraid. Now, next Sunday, I will do the same thing when it comes time for church. I will trust that the Lord knows best and He doesn’t want me to remain isolated.

What fears do you need to face head on? Or what fears have you already faced and what was the outcome? I’d love to connect with you. Leave me a comment or connect with me on my Facebook page.

Be blessed my friends!

Please follow and like:

17 Comments

1. Jessica

March 9, 2020 at 9:42 am

This was a lovely read. I, too am learning to surrender to Jesus! I have many fears and anxiety. Making close friends is one of them. I keep to myself a lot. I’m working on myself through Him. Thank you for sharing your testimony and trying to help others!

1. biblemomma

March 10, 2020 at 1:33 pm

Satan’s plan is isolation. I’ve been through some really hurtful relationships which caused me to shut down and put up walls so no one else could get in to hurt me again. But God! Thank God He came through for me and helped me to open up again. I’ve met some amazing people and God has even restored some relationships that I had completely given up on. I pray that God sends you the right people who will be true friends through thick and thin. It is possible!

2. Paris

March 9, 2020 at 11:33 am

This was such a great read! Conquering fear is something I am tackling this year! I have dreams and have been scared to go after it. This article helped 🙂

1. biblemomma

March 10, 2020 at 1:30 pm

I’m so glad it was helpful. I will add you to my prayers. I think most of us deal with some level of fear, whether we admit it or not. Chase those dreams so you have NO regrets!

3. Jennifer

March 9, 2020 at 12:32 pm

What a great message! I battle a lot of fear (usually based around my husband and children and loss like you said!) I try to always whisper a prayer or even the name of Jesus when fear creeps in. I love using biblical essential oils and pairing them with prayer for grounding and singing worship songs too!
    I’m proud you made it through and went to Jamaica! I’ve been to that waterfall and the bus ride over was downright scary! But oh so beautiful when we got there! (That was when I was in college and not consumed with fear!)

1. biblemomma

March 10, 2020 at 1:29 pm

Thank you! Wasn’t that waterfall amazing! Just reminded me of other things that I may miss out on if I allow fear to stop me like it used to.

4. Zephyr Hill

March 10, 2020 at 12:21 pm

There’s a wonderful little book I read a few years ago called Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence that every Christian should read! It’s not just about conquering fear, although that’s certainly covered. It’s about living in the will of God in every moment of your life, which can truly melt away all fears and doubts.

God is watching over us He does not send anything too difficult that we can’t overcome without Him. I think that’s very important to remember – He’s not asking us to go through anything ALONE.

1. biblemomma

March 10, 2020 at 1:27 pm

I love the sound of that book. I’ll definitely check it out! You’re so right too. He’s always right here with us, even when it doesn’t seem like it and He has a plan and purpose for everything we face.

5. Kristen

March 10, 2020 at 12:55 pm

I suffer from anxiety and when it first really reared its ugly head things were really bad for me. I only went out to go to the doctors. It has gotten much better but I still need to conquer my fear of driving. I have only driven a little bit in the past 7 years – just around town – and I have no idea what is really stopping me.

1. biblemomma

March 10, 2020 at 1:25 pm

I will be praying for you to fully conquer your fears. It truly is SO freeing! What is the root of your fear? For me it’s usually dying. It takes completely trusting that God knows when and how my last day will be and that there’s nothing I can do to change that, to let go of the fear of death a little more. I have to trust that if something were to happen to me, He has a plan and will take care of my family.

6. Jen @ JENRON DESIGNS

March 10, 2020 at 12:57 pm

It is so hard to be a parent in the day and age, so many things to worry about, but at least you are the kind of parent worries and cares, sadly some do not. It is good that you have overcome your fears to operate a healthier level of concern for your family, and that your shared your story to help others.

1. biblemomma

March 10, 2020 at 1:26 pm

Thank you! It really is sad to see how many parents just don’t care. I’m so blessed to be a mother and I will always strive to do the best I know how for their sake.

7. ireayotomiwa

March 10, 2020 at 2:42 pm

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, souvenirs from the traumatic experiences I had some years back. Having a child to worry about sometimes doesn’t help. But with God, with prayers we are overcomes. My favorite bible verse at such time is “God had not given me the spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of a sound mind”

1. biblemomma

March 17, 2020 at 12:09 am

Yes! 2 Timothy 1:7. It’s my favorite verse too and has gotten me through so much!

8. charlottejessop1

March 10, 2020 at 3:29 pm

I struggle with fear but I’m learning slowly. I use statistics to help the logical part of my brain and spirituality for the emotions. Seems to work.

1. biblemomma

March 17, 2020 at 12:08 am

Yes! Statistics also help me. When I was flying, I kept reminding myself that there are thousands of planes that are in the air at any given time and we very rarely hear of crashes.

9. Gina @ Oaxacaborn